Monday, July 6, 2015

ILOCOS ROADTRIP: Paoay and Vigan


" I can't say I wasn't hoping for it, but I didn't see it coming."  -- Jessi Kirby, Golden

Our trip to Ilocos was definitely unplanned. We were running out of things to do in La Union so we decided to drive to Ilocos. It was my first time in Ilocos, and I can say that our trip was definitely one for the books. Let the pictures speak for themselves.

Sand Dunes, Paoay, Ilocos Norte


We arrived in Suba, Sand Dunes, Paoay, Ilocos Norte at 5:30 pm. We had the place to ourselves!



First up, 
4X4 ride!!!

I had never ridden a 4x4. It was my first time and it was epic! Mostly thanks to our “tour guide” slash “driver” slash "photographer" slash VICE MAYOR of Paoay, Ilocos Norte. We had no idea at first that he is the vice-mayor of the town. We only found out after he had already driven the 4x4, took our photos, taught us how to sandboard, and became the best possible tour guide to our group.  Vice Mayor Jessie Galano is thus far the coolest executive official I've ever met. I don't know if he only does this tour guide-thing for votes. Anyway, he knew we were not voters of Ilocos and the entire sand dunes was practically empty for him to put up a show. My conclusion is that: he's just cool like that.


Vice-Mayor Jessie gave us the ultimate experience of riding the 4x4. You really have to hold tightly because you’re going to be thrown out if you don’t.


4x4 ride (already includes sandboarding) costs 2,500 pesos. The truck will fit 5 people. The fee is fixed regardless of how many you are in the group, so long as you don't exceed 5. There were 8 of us  so we rented 2 trucks.


Sandboarding


It’s actually easier than it looks. Though I fell flat on my behind twice, it was manageable. Sandboarding is probably my favorite experience during this La Union-Ilocos trip. It was fun and scary and fulfilling. And again, we had the whole sand dunes to ourselves! There were young boys assisting our “tour guide” and watching us sandboard which made the experience pretty awesome. It was like having a supportive audience. 


Picture-Perfect











The quality photos are probably creditable to the magic of GoPro, but I swear, the place is really amazing. I loved the sunset! One of the best sunset experiences of my life. Great sunset with great friends. 


Owning Vigan, Ilocos Sur


We arrived in Vigan at 11pm. And again, just like Suba Sand Dunes, we had Calle Crisologo to ourselves. No annoying photobombers. I never wanted to go to Vigan. I could not imagine a half-day travel just to visit Calle Crisologo. But combined with our sand dunes trip, it was definitely worth a visit.









              




No comments:

Post a Comment