Friday, November 25, 2011

On Gay Rights

"There are people who have said that I’m being brave for being openly supportive of gay marriage, gay adoption, basically of gay rights, but with all due respect, I humbly dissent. I’m not being brave. I’m being a decent human being. And I don’t think I should receive an award for that or for merely stating what I believe to be true, that love is a human experience not a political statement. However, I acknowledge that sadly we live in a world where not everybody feels the same. My family and I will help the good fight continue until that long awaited moment arrives, when our rights are equal and when the political limits on love have been smashed." – Anne Hathaway 

This is one of the most compelling statements I’ve ever encountered. I first came across this statement of Anne Hathaway in Tumblr. It has gained thousands of ‘likes’ and reposts.

Some assent to her views and some question it. Of course, I share her views and I appreciate her advocacy.

Also, I think this is a proof of how statements – more so, advocacy – of prominent people could be so influential. Anne Hathaway – from how I see it – is a good person; and a good person fighting for a cause would somehow equate to it being a worthy one. She was able to give confidence to those she’s advocating for and to those who have the same belief.

On gay rights: I believe in the love of my God, that my God is an understanding God. I refuse to acquiesce that He would punish people because of their gender-preference. You could be the straightest guy on earth but also the most evil one. It doesn’t matter what inclination you have as long as you’re a good person.

On gay marriages: I believe in love, whatever kind it is as long as it’s true. And if a gay marriage is founded on love, by all means, let it be.

* * *
Prejudice is just ignorance. - Blaine, Glee Season 2

No comments:

Post a Comment